Written by Kelly A. Hogan, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
*Adapted from an activity presented by Dawn Tamarkin, Springfield Technical Community College at the National Association for Biology Teacher (NABT) Conference 2010.
– To review nomenclature related to macromolecules
– To practice organizing and making connections between concepts
Activity Description: Students are given a sheet of paper covered with words related to macromolecules. They will first cut the words out (like flashcards) and organize them into piles with a partner. Students are encouraged to discuss different ways to group the same set of words.
Time Needed: Approximately 25 minutes
Materials Needed: Worksheets and scissors for each group
- Have the students cut out the words.
- Let them organize them into piles without telling them how the organization should be done.
- Allow them time to see how other groups grouped their words. Allow time for questions and discussion about the different ways to group words.
Worksheet: Reviewing Macromolecules Worksheet